STATEWIDE RESEARCH, PRESENTATION, AND MINI GRANTS
LAUC Statewide’s Call for Research Proposals for the 2021/2022 grant program:
Members may apply during two cycles*:
- The first call, issued in Fall 2022, allows applications for research, mini, and presentation grants (with funds being awarded in January 2023).
- The second call, issued in Spring 2023, allows applications for mini and presentation grants (with funds being awarded in March 2023).
*We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as funds may be depleted during the first call.
Read below for an overview of the grant process. A detailed Awards Calendar appears here, and additional grant information is listed on the LAUC website.
The purpose of the grants program is to support LAUC members’ research activities. Research funds allow UC librarians a unique opportunity to engage in scholarly research and creative activity that enhances our contributions to the University and to our profession.
TYPES OF GRANTS
The following three types of grants are offered (listed in order of priority for funding). LAUC members may apply for one, two, or all three types of grants.
(1) Research grants ($5,000 maximum) fund small to large projects by either one librarian or a group of librarians. Funds may be used in the current or following fiscal year (7/1/22 – 6/30/24).
(2) Mini Grants ($500 maximum) are designed to encourage librarians to develop research ideas or to see a project to completion. Funds may be used in the current or following fiscal year (7/1/22 – 6/30/24).
(3) Presentation Grants ($600 maximum) provide travel assistance to present at scholarly conferences. Funds must be used in the current fiscal year (7/1/22 – 6/30/24).
Any applicant who has not submitted the required end of funding (EOF) report for a previous LAUC grant shall be disqualified from consideration for a new grant. The annual pool of viable applications varies in number, type of grant, and amount of support requested, typically exceeding the amount of available funding.
The R&PD page on the LAUC website features many helpful documents, including links to guidelines, forms, and past projects. Be sure to closely read and download all of the forms and guidelines for the type of grant(s) you wish to pursue.
REPORTING AND ACKNOWLEDGMENT
Successful applicants are required to submit an End of Funding Period Report by the end of the fiscal year and must acknowledge the receipt of LAUC funds in their final products. Additional information about reporting and acknowledgement is on the Guidelines for LAUC Grants page.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the relevant application form (accessible through the links above) and submit it via email to the LAUC-LA R&PD Committee Chair Christopher Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org.