Skip to main content

Chicano Studies Research Center Library

Serving the UCLA and Chicano community since 1969

How to Find a Books

How can I find out if the CSRC Library has a book?

  • All of our holdings are cataloged through the UCLA Library. You can also run a search on Melvyl, which provides information about articles, books, journals, and other materials held by UCLA, other University of California (UC) campuses, and libraries worldwide. (This is important to note when you need to do Interlibrary Loan--see question below.) A search on the UCLA Library Catalog will only look at assets held at UCLA. However, both will give you the exact location of the item.

Can I check out books?

  • No. We are a special library and many of our books are rare. As such, our books don't circulate. BUT you are welcome to browse the stacks and pull books out to reading during regular business hours.

What is Interlibrary Loan and how can I use it?

  • If there is a book you want that isn't available at the UCLA libraries or is, but doesn't circulate (like our books) you can check Melvyl to see if the book is available at another library. If the book is available at any other library, you can request the item be sent through interlibrary loan to a UCLA Library. Melvyl will also let you know if an item is available online AND let's you search by zip code to see whether the item you are looking for is near you at any library, period. Pretty cool, huh!? See Interlibrary Loans to learn more.

How to Use the Archives

How can I find out what archival collections the library has?

  • Archival collections are also cataloged through the UCLA Library; however if you want to look at the finding aid for a collection at the Chicano Studies Research Center Library, check out the Online Archives of California (OAC). The OAC provides "free public access to detailed descriptions of primary resource collections maintained by more than 200 contributing institutions including libraries, special collections, archives, historical societies, and museums throughout California and collections maintained by the 10 University of California (UC) campuses." That means you will not only find information about collections we have, but also collections other affiliated institutions might have regarding your research topic. See a full list of the finding aids available for collections at the Chicano Studies Research Center Library.

What is a finding aid?

  • "Finding aids, also known as finding guides, registers, or inventories, are tools created by archivist to help you navigate archival and manuscript collections. A finding aid describes and details the organization and contents of a collection." -SDSU Library, definition from their helpful tutorial

Can I come to the library and see the archives right away?

  • No. All of our archival collections are stored off site at the Southern Regional Library Facility. 

How do I make an archival request?

  • Please fill out an Archival Research Application specifying what collections and boxes you would like to request. It can take 24–48 hours for materials to arrive at the library, but we will send you a confirmation email when your materials arrive and you can come view the materials. For assistance, please contact the CSRC Librarian.

Computers and Printing

Can I use the CSRC Library computers?

  • Yes! The computers are available to everyone. You simply need a UCLA Logon ID (for students, this is your My UCLA login information) to log in.

Can I print at the CSRC Library?

  • Yes! We offer free printing, up to 50 pages per quarter.

What printer do I use?

  • The printers name is KIOSK - CSRC LIBRARY.

How many pages can I print?

  • 50 pages per quarter.

Can I add money to my account to print more?

  • No. We are not on the printer system that the UCLA Library and main campus uses. As such, we do provided free printing. See above.