At UCLA there are three different library catalogs to search for books.
The UCLA Library Catalog lists everything owned or licensed by the UCLA Library and other campus collections. That includes books, journals, magazines, DVDs and videos, microfilm, and online databases. As our in-house system it also contains up-to-the-minute status information on what's checked out and allows you to do things like renew your books, recall books checked out to other people or request items stored in the Southern Regional Library Facility (SRLF).
- The Catalog lists journals owned by UCLA, but not the individual articles inside them. To identify specific articles, use an Article Database.
- Once you have found a book you want to get, note the location, call number and status (whether the book is checked out):
- You can always ask for help!
Search strategy examples:
For general history of the time period, on the Basic Search page, type World War, 1914-1918--Causes, select Subject List (Start of) and then click Search. You will see a list of subject headings. Select those that seem most appropriate, click on them and you will see bibliographic citations and call numbers for the books. Other subject headings include: Soviet Union--History--Revolution, 1917-1921 or World War, 1939-1945--Causes.
WorldCat has catalog records from libraries worldwide. Not every library everywhere, but from any libraries that have put their records in OCLC. However, it lacks local information like where in the library something is. You can request materials from anywhere in the world using the Interlibrary Loan service—you don't even have to specify where it's coming from—but it may take weeks or months to get here, and extremely rare materials may not be available for loan.
- Resources that are fully cataloged in the UC campus (main) catalogs, including books, journals, media, government publications, maps, electronic databases, and more.
- Resources in libraries around the world, listed from a service called WorldCat.org, including many California research libraries: California State Library, Hastings College of the Law, the California Academy of Sciences, the California Historical Society, the Center for Research Libraries, the Graduate Theological Union, the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and some campus affiliated libraries.
- A search in the Melvyl Catalog will include a number of journal article databases with links to articles available in full-text or print from the UC Libraries. To limit your search to books only, on the Advanced Search screen, click the Add/Remove databases>> button and CLEAR ALL; then check the box next to WorldCat and Save Selections.