Who’s involved in creating the federal budget?
Federal Fiscal Year Runs Oct 1 to Oct 1
- President – submits a budget “request”; tool to set national policy
- Office of Management and Budget (executive agency) Formulates, prepares, and oversees the president’s budget
- Senate Budget Committee
- House Budget Committee
- Senate Appropriations Committee
- House Appropriations Committee
- Congressional Budget Office
The budget sets “broad areas of spending; appropriations define the allocation of money for very specific programs and items”. Congress implements budget resolution policies through action on individual revenue and debt-limit measures, annual appropriations acts, and direct spending legislation.
Keith, Robert. (2008). CRS Report for Congress: Introduction to the Federal Budget Process. Congressional Research Service, Washington, D.C. Available online: http://opencrs.com/document/98-721/2008-03-07
Sears, J. L., & Moody, M. K. (2001). Using government information sources: Electronic and print. Phoenix, Ariz: Oryx Press.